Using a Gamestop Wired Xbox 360 Controller on a Mac

UPDATE: This comment below outlines a much easier fix to get this working. Thanks!

UPDATE: I’ve changed this article to include my Info.plist. Now all you need to do is enter your own Product ID and Vendor ID for the Gamestop Controller definition

Just a quick tip for those wanting to use a wired 360 controller from Gamestop on their Mac.

The first thing you’ll need to do is plug in your controller, open the System Information (found in Application/Utilities), and click System Report. One there, click USB on the left column. This will show you information regarding all the USB devices hooked to your computer. Find the 360 controller and write down the Product ID and Vendor ID values.

Now download the 360 controller drivers from Tattiebogle.net. Once you have that you’ll need to download this info file, rename it to Info.plist (do not unzip it!) and overwrite the one found in /System/Library/Extensions/360Controller.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Once you’ve done that, open the file in a text editor and find the following:

<key>GamestopController</key>
<string>IOUSBDevice</string>
<key>idProduct</key>
<integer>0x0401</integer>
<key>idVendor</key>
<integer>0x0e6f</integer>
</dict>

Change idProduct and idVendor to your values, and save the file.

Now from the terminal type:

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

This will force the system to re-read the config file.

Now you’ll be able to enter the 360 Controller settings in System Preferences and enable your controller.

118 thoughts on “Using a Gamestop Wired Xbox 360 Controller on a Mac

1. rkalajian Post author

I forgot to mention the values for idProduct and idVendor need to be changed depending on your system config. Editing the post now.

1. rkalajian Post author

After that you pull up the controller settings in the Control Panel and you should be able to select your Gamestop controller.

1. garrett

yep still no devices found and when i click on the plus sign the menu is blank now, might just buy a real xbox controller or better yet something that was actually made for a mac

2. Chris

where do i save to? it doesn’t work if i just save to desktop. and when i enter in the “sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions” in do i open a new terminal window?

3. rkalajian Post author

You’re editing /System/Library/Extensions/360Controller.kext/Contents/Info.plist, so you need to just save that file after inputing the block of code.

4. Sawyer

I’ve followed this guide, but my controller still isn’t being recognized by my Mac. I have the same controller as you, but when I plug it in nothing happens under the controller settings and it definitely isn’t being recognized in-game. Is it possible this is because I’m using Mountain Lion?

5. rkalajian Post author

I’ve changed the article to include a copy of my Info.plist. Just follow the new instructions and give it a shot.

6. Cys

when I type “sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions” it tells me that the system extension “/System/LIbrary/Extensions/360Controller.kext” isn’t installed correctly and that I need to re-install it or consult the producer for an upgrade”…

7. mika

I’ve followed this step by step but it’s still not working. I have tried several times now but tit still says “No devices found”. Is there an easy way to unlock the Info.plist located in contents before you overwrite it (I use File buddy)? What is supposed to be shown in the terminal after you do the sudo touch?
    Thanks!

1. Francesco

ok…I solved the problem of the folder but now I have the same problem of “CYS”!!
      “he system extension “/System/LIbrary/Extensions/360Controller.kext” isn’t installed correctly and that I need to re-install it or consult the producer for an upgrade”…”
      How can I solve this problem?
      please help me!
      Thanks

1. rkalajian Post author

I did you snag my 360Controller.kext from the post? That one should work correctly after you modify the needed fields.

1. Francesco

sure….
          I downloaded .plist file from this site and i changed needed fields…
          Im wondering…when I modified id product i had to save that info file in another location because the original .plist file was protected…
          could it be a problem?
          how i can unlock that file?
          thanks

1. rkalajian Post author

Let’s say the file is on your Desktop. The command would be: “sudo mv ~/Info.plist /System/Library/Extensions/360Controller.kext/Contents/Info.plist”

8. matt

this is kind of a dumb question but do you have to do all that stuff to get the wired gamestop controller to work on mac?is there another way?

9. matt

/System/Library/Extensions/360Controller.kext/Contents/Info.plist when i typed this into terminal, it said permission denied…any ideas?

10. Jimmy

11. Robert

It didn’t work for me when I replaced the original Info.plist with yours, but it did work when I copy/pasted the GamestopController….. section into the original Info.plist and followed the rest of your instructions. Now it works like a charm! Thanks!

1. G

I’ve tried this as well and I receive the extension isn’t correctly installed…would grabbing the source files, editing, then compiling solve this?

12. konsumer

thanks! My controller was different, but this gave me a good starting point. Here is what I did different:

Looked in system Info, under USB, found “MadCatz Gamepad”:

Product ID: 0xf016, Vendor ID: 0x1bad
    did google search “0xf016 in decimal” and “0x1bad in decimal”

added this to my /System/Library/Extensions/360Controller.kext/Contents/Info.plist (after other gamepad defs):
    MadCatzGamepad (mine)

IOUSBDevice
    idProduct
    61462
    idVendor
    7085

13. Shaun

Save yourself time on this whole ordeal!!! HERE’S WHAT YOU DO: the instructions above are close to the mark, but left me with an “installed improperly” dialogue. However, I think the quickest and most efficient way to do this is to edit the file *directly* by downloading TextWrangler (google it), opening Terminal and then typing “edit /System/Library/Extensions/360Controller.kext/Contents/Info.plist” From there, replace it with the text from the plist file he included. Then find your controller in the list, and then find the product ID and vendor ID. Change it to your product ID and vendor ID (to find this, follow his instructions at the top).

One thing I did differently was that I actually *did* reinstall the driver when I first was having trouble (i.e. after getting the “.kext file is installed improperly” dialogue) and this may have solved the problem for some reason. However, editing it directly may make this unnecessary. If this does occur, just reinstall, edit the plist with your VID and PID and it should magically appear.

14. mike

hello,
    I have the controller recognized and functioning in controller preference but still does not work in game (cod4,from aspyr ).what am i missing?

thnx,

1. rkalajian Post author

Have you tried reading through the comments at other peoples’ suggestions? Obviously people have gotten it to work.

15. kevin

Hi for some reason it won’t let me open the .kext file in extensions it keeps saying “no application set to document 360Controller” Can someone help?

16. kevin

Never mind about that I actually figured that out , but after you but the sudo thing, it asks for a pass what would that be?

17. Tits McGee

This all worked, I get the option of a gamestop controller, but I still have ‘no device found’. Is there something i can do to get the controller located on the computer?

18. red

Hey, is the only way to replace the file by actually using the sudo command and not dragging the .plist into the .kext contents?

19. Jamz90

same problem… can you help me please? Thanks

20. Diusgh Stone

Edwin at Feral Interactive just made it even easier, if you’re having trouble writing your own code like I was.

Got this from Edwin at Feral Interactive

1. Simply make sure you have a working installation of the Mac tattiebogle 0.11 on your Mac. This is important do not use older versions, it won’t work.
    2. Download this file : http://downloads.feralinteractive.com/temp/Xbox360DriverExtraPadSupport.command.zip (It’s been updated)
    3. Open the .command file (you might need to right click open to avoid annoying GateKeeper stuff) and enter your admin password when prompted.

Cheers,

Edwin

1. lar

Hi it appears this link is broken again, I’ve tried everything outlined in the other comments above and no joy so I’m really hoping this one works

21. Dutch

Hi Diusgh,

The link you’ve provided is incomplete. Would you be able to repost it with the full link? I, too, am having trouble getting this to work properly and am looking for an easier fix. Thanks much!

1. Diusgh

Oh how weird both links are working just fine when I click on them, it opens up a download box. Accept the download unzip and run the shell. Let me know if that doesn’t work and I can find another thread that he has posted directly on and link you there or just forward the email to you directly.

1. Diusgh

I can directly email you the link if you need it, the link wasn’t working for when I checked it just now either. Or you could email Feral directly.

22. Owen

This is not working for me. I used the command file and entered my password, and that worked. It seems as though everything should be working, however the driver does not recognize that the controller is plugged into my computer. Suggestions?

1. Diusgh

Did you email Edwin with your information that you pulled from *About this Mac* and *More Info*, see if he can add it to the shell or mayhap he finds that it doesn’t work. shoot him an email though.

23. Ryan

You are awesome! Thank you! Updated Comment instructions were fool-proof and literally the only way I could find to get the GameStop controller recognized.

1. Diusgh

I just emailed him, but send me an email at diusgh@gmail.com and I will email you the copy of the shell that I havee. Just put in the subject line Controller Shell. It will help me do a search and make sure I don’t miss anyone. I guess I’ll let you know what he tell me if he gets back to me. My thought on a possibility is that maybe Feral isn’t hosting it anymore? Not too sure though.

24. Roberto

Hi,
    i bought a xbox 360 gamestop controller bb-070 and, with the latest extra pad support, it finally turn on the circle light and flashing, but the problem is that the control panel still doesn’t find the device, and off course it doesn’t work with any games….no sign of life except for the flashing leds.
    Help meeee!
    The gamestop shop does not exchange it because it works on xbox so i have to keep it :(
    Sorry for my english

1. Diusgh

Roberto,
      Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling yet. Aside from that I can’t say that I have any helpful advice. It works perfectly on your xbox 360? Or any 360 for that matter?

1. Roberto

Hi Diusgh,
        Yes i tried few times, also with that update, and the pad work well with the xbox.
        Maybe there are some compatibility problems with my gamepad model.
        I will turn back soon hoping in an update or a way to get it work.

25. Ben

Mac OSX Mountain Lion Fix

If you’re getting the “/System/LIbrary/Extensions/360Controller.kext” isn’t installed correctly and that you need to re-install it or consult the producer for an upgrade” error do the following:

open terminal (Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal)
    $ cd /System/Library/Extensions/360Controller.kext/Contents/
    $ sudo chmod 777 Info.plist
    $ open .

a finder window should open. Right click Info.plist > “open with” and open with a text editor (text edit, xcode, gvim, text wrangler, … whatever you have installed)

Copy and paste the code in the correct location*. Save it.

back in the terminal:
    $ sudo chmod 644 Info.plist <– if you don't do this you will get it 'installed incorrectly error'
    $ sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/

and you're done

*Correct location:

IOKitPersonalities

—–Past here—-

BigBenController

26. madbanjoman

I have installed the .11 driver and ran the script Xbox360DriverExtraPadSupport.command to update the Info.plist. I have a Gamestop Gamepad.

System Info output:

Gamepad for Xbox 360:

Product ID: 0xf901
    Vendor ID: 0x1bad
    Version: 1.00
    Serial Number: 0F85176
    Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
    Manufacturer: Performance Designed Products
    Location ID: 0xfd110000 / 3
    Current Available (mA): 500
    Current Required (mA): 500

Here is the section of Info.plist that I believe pertains to my controller:

GamestopGamepad2

IOProviderClass
    IOUSBDevice
    idProduct
    63745
    idVendor
    7085

I have restarted my Macbook Air (10.8.2 OSX) and my controller light blinks now when connected to the usb port, but is not seen my the Xbox control panel. I get the No Devices Found.

Interestedly, when I click on the plus button in the control panel app and scroll down through the list of supported gamepads I see GamestopGamepad2 listed and colored blue instead of black like the other gamepad names.

The 360Daemon is running after the recent reboot.

(saturn)$ ps -efw | grep 360
    0 105 1 0 12:40PM ?? 0:00.03 /Library/StartupItems/360ControlDaemon/360Daemon
    1002 889 251 0 1:33PM ttys000 0:00.01 grep 360
    (saturn)$ uptime
    13:33 up 53 mins, 2 users, load averages: 0.47 0.49 0.55

Here is output from pkgutil that shows installation

(saturn)$ pkgutil –info com.mice.pkg.Xbox360controller
    package-id: com.mice.pkg.Xbox360controller
    version: 0.11
    volume: /
    location:
    install-time: 1358357304

Thanks for any help you can provide

1. Angel

my o.s.
          Mountain Lion

controller info:
          ID prodotto: 0×0301
          ID fornitore: 0x0e6f
          Versione: 2.00
          Numero di serie: 00008ED2
          Velocità: Fino a 12 Mb/sec
          Produttore: Performance Designed Products
          ID posizione: 0×14400000 / 5
          Corrente disponibile (mA): 500
          Corrente necessaria (mA): 500

27. Graham

Hey everyone! I’ve been using my Gamestop Controller with my Macbook Pro for the past couple months now. I used these instructions and was able to get my controller working with my computer. It shows up in the system preferences and I’ve even used it to play (and beat) Batman Arkham City. But when I go to play Batman Arkham Assylum, for some reason it doesn’t work with the game. I checked, and it’s still functioning properly under system preferences as well as with Arkham City. Any ideas why it isn’t working with my other game? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

28. Mario

Hello, i have the same situation as Roberto…. i have a mac with mountain lion…and the same iD prodotto: 0×0301
    ID fornitore: 0x0e6f help me

29. Mitch B

Downloaded the driver and the updated list from Edwin at Feral

Using the GameStopGamePad 770 4779 model.

My controller is blinking around the home ring but the computer doesnt recognize the controller. When I go to the list of controllers, the one I am using is highlighted in BLUE but still, nothing is working. Any ideas from here?

1. Steven

I am having the same problem as Mitch B

Downloaded the driver and installed the drivers from Edwin at Feral

I’m using the GameStop GamePad 4716.

My controller is blinking around the home ring but the computer doesn’t recognize it. When I go to the list of controllers, the one I am using is highlighted in BLUE but still, nothing is working. Any ideas from here?

30. emu

2 questions,

1) What is this fabled “control panel” you speak of? My computer (running snow leopard) does not appear to have such a thing

2) The last step says to enter the 360 Controller settings in System Preferences and enable my controller. What 360 Controller settings? Where might that be? I don’t appear to have it.

31. rkalajian Post author

The Control Panel is just your Settings panel, sorry for the confusion. If you don’t have the panel for the 360 Controller Settings, try installer the driver again.

32. Sabreen

Okay so I’ve done everything but I don’t understand what you mean by overwriting that one link thing.. what and where is it and how do I do that?!?!! Please help :( I’m going crazy over here! Oh and I found the vendor number but the other one wasn’t called product it was called device… that doesn’t make a difference right?

33. Mitch B

Honestly…it’s easier to just buy a Microsoft xbox 360 controller. I was having issues then bought this….fixed everything

34. giovanni

Please, someone reply me.
    I’ve just bought a gamestop gamepad for xbox 360 (bb-070 model).
    I’ve already installed the driver from ‘Tattiebogie.net’ and after this step the led in the centre of the pad lights up. In the ‘system preference’ there’s the icon of xbox 360 controller, but when i open it , my macbook seems not to ‘read’ the controller, in fact the only preference that i can choose is ‘No devices found’.
    i’ve also tried the guide step by step in this website but it still didn’t run. The great problem is when i open the terminal and input commas ‘sudo touch [……]‘ cause it tells me “/System/LIbrary/Extensions/360Controller.kext” isn’t installed correctly and that I need to re-install it or consult the producer for an upgrade”.
    Someone can help me please step by step? I really don’t know what can i do.
    i have a macbook pro with mountain lion.

the system info show me this :Gamepad for Xbox 360:

ID prodotto: 0×0301
    ID fornitore: 0x0e6f
    Versione: 2.00
    Numero di serie: 000006AE
    Velocità: Fino a 12 Mb/sec
    Produttore: Performance Designed Products
    ID posizione: 0xfd120000 / 4
    Corrente disponibile (mA): 500
    Corrente necessaria (mA): 500

1. Phantom

Okay, this was taken directly from Shaun, and I’m just reposting it so you don’t have to look for it.

1. giovanni

i read this and i tried. But there’ s somthing not clear..
        Like : ‘replace it with the text from the plist file he included.’ what does it mean? how can i do this?

1. Ben

On my comment I accidentally submitted my email address as my display name. Please just change it to ‘Ben’ and delete this comment. Sorry for the inconvenience.

35. giovanni

in what position i have to paste all the text of his plist? in the middle, at the end … is the position important? do i delete something from the originary plist? sorry but i ‘ ve never done something like this on my mac

36. giovanni

this is what ive done..ive opened the terminal and I’ve putted in ”edit /System/Library/Extensions/360Controller.kext/Contents/Info.plist”
    But terminal answered me ‘edit command not found’ or something similar, so it didnt recognise this commas…so I’ve done all manually (i thought it could be similar) system/library/extensions/360controller.kext–>show contents/contents/info.plist/open with–>text edit/duplicate (’cause the ‘info.plist’ file is locked and i cant modify )/ delete all i found in..Then……open in the same ways the info.plist found in this site/after having selected all-> copy/ return to file duplicate and past/ save this/ then take this file rename it with ‘info.plist’ and replace with the original.

those are all the passages ive done. now where I’m wrong?? cause after all nothing happens! opening the system preference/xbox360controller it continues not recognize my pad.

37. zenfurybuddha

ya, i tried all of this, and nothing. . . and the only difference between posters (0×0401) is mine is (0×0201). my controller just sits here blinking, and nothing appears in the list. I’ve tried it like five times already . . .

38. lorenzoshake

on mavericks the gamestop controller just blink ( on both imac mid 2011 and macbook air mi 2012) ; on control panel classic “no device found”

39. aks

After many days of struggling, all of you with bb070, I managed to install the driver for two different bb070s. So I guess this should work for you too. Use the guide here, but instead of changing the afterglow pad change the values for the “controller”. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1327396

If you need to install for two pads the just copy past the controller-part and write controller2. Important that you do this in the controllerlist13.file.
    And you need to write the productID as decimal. just google
    0xf902 and use the number that pops up 7085 or whatever it was

If you need to add more controllers you need to uninstall the driver with the program in the above link and change the controllerlist13.plist file again.

This worked with the new maverick OS.

Good luck guys

40. aks

I mean just google “0xf902 in decimal” , as I said, the way it worked for me was to follow the guide and change the values to my controller instead of the one in his guide.

Good luck

41. Shmopher

For anyone having trouble with Gamestop BB-070, after two days here’s how I got mine to work.

Download:

This is the 0.08 driver disguised as 0.11.

After the install is complete edit the Info.plist with TextWrangler and add the decimal values under Controller

Controller

1025
    idVendor
    3695

Save Info.plist

Open Terminal and:

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

Your controller should be working now… fingers crossed.